This position presents an opportunity to make a lasting contribution to advancing and protecting civil liberties and civil rights in Idaho and nationwide. We seek someone who will be influential and have a prominent presence at the state capitol. The ideal candidate will have lobbying and policy experience and know how to build relationships with lawmakers, government staff and key stakeholders.
The Legislative Strategist will work alongside campaign organizers, interns, and fellows to protect and advance an array of civil rights and civil liberty issues including: reproductive rights, LGBTQ+ rights, immigrant rights, voting rights, and criminal legal reform. There may be integrated work with Legal Department staff, who will analyze and track a narrow set of legislative bills for potential legal action.
This is a full-time, exempt position based in Idaho. The successful hire must reside in Idaho before employment can begin. The Legislative Strategist reports to the Executive Director and may eventually report to the Advocacy Director once that position is filled.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Implement the ACLU’s legislative agenda at the state and local level;
- Lobby full-time during the legislative session;
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to identify tactics and strategy for legislative engagement;
- Track legislation that affects the civil rights and civil liberties of Idahoans, with an emphasis on issues within the affiliate's strategic priorities;
- In partnership with the advocacy department staff, host informational webinars, testimony trainings, and events during session to engage the public on legislative issues at the statehouse;
- Provide bill summaries to staff;
- Collaborate with the Communications Department in posting bill summaries and legislative information on the ACLU of Idaho's website;
- Engage in direct and grassroots lobbying;
- Assist in lobby day trainings in coordination with Advocacy Department staff;
- Draft and lead the publication of our annual legislative report;
- Host a legislative session recap event post-session;
- Offer public testimony before house and senate committees;
- In partnership with the Executive Director, coordinate meetings with gubernatorial staff and appropriate stakeholders;
- Draft action alert emails for community engagement during the legislative session;
- At the direction of the Executive Director, track administrative meetings and provide public comment to administrative rulemaking bodies on issues that fall within the affiliate's strategic priorities;
- Develop advocacy tools, including petitions, fact sheets, talking points, public education materials, and position letters to advance legislative and campaign work;
- In collaboration with the Communications Department, respond to media requests on legislative and public policy issues;
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and the Communication Department, develop messaging and speak publicly on the ACLU’s behalf at events and forums;
- At the direction of the Executive Director, cultivate relationships with allied organizations and coalitions in support of shared policy priorities;
- Collaborate with national ACLU staff who have policy expertise in relevant issue areas;
- Provide substantive support to the Advocacy Department on legislative advocacy trainings.
- At least two years of substantial experience in political, legislative, advocacy or law-related work, preferably in Idaho;
- Commitment to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, and goals, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications;
- Strong analytical, research, writing and oral advocacy skills, as well as the ability to articulate legal concepts and complex issues and communicate them tactfully and effectively to a variety of audiences;
- Exceptional initiative, vision and ability to develop and implement short and long-term integrated legislative strategies;
- Familiarity with grasstops/roots and electoral tactics and experience building coalitions;
- Ability to keep organized in a fast-paced environment, manage several projects simultaneously, and adjust strategy to frequently changing demands;
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse staff, coalitions and community groups, motivate volunteers, work across the political spectrum, and value differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance;
- Commitment to the highest ethical standards of lobbying and professionalism;
- Ability to work long hours during legislative session and commute to meetings and events throughout the state, as needed. Comp time is provided after the legislative session;
- An understanding of the law or law degree is preferred but not required.
The pay range for this position is $60,000-$70,000 annualized.
Excellent benefits include 100% employer-paid premiums for medical, vision and dental insurance, 401(k) plan with an employer match, life and long-term disability insurance, sabbatical eligibility after five years, up to 16 weeks paid family leave, and generous paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave. The ACLU of Idaho invests in each staff member’s professional development.
ACLU of Idaho will provide up to $3,000 to support relocation expenses.
How To Apply:
- A résumé.
- A one- or two-page cover letter sharing why you are interested in the position, and how your lived or professional experience would make you successful in this role.
- Contact information for three references who can speak to your advocacy, research, and writing skills.
Send to: [email protected].
Please reference “Legislative Strategist” in the email subject line and indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing. The interview process will likely consist of two interviews with the hiring committee and skills test assigned as homework. If travel is required during the interview process, expenses will be reimbursed by the ACLU of Idaho.
Review of applications will begin October 17, 2022 and continue on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.
If you are a person with a disability and need assistance applying, please e-mail [email protected]. If we select you for an interview, you will receive more information about how to request accommodations for the interview process.